Carney says Canada is now in an economic war with Trump after trade talks collapsed

NewsSat, 22 Aug 2026 21:10:52 UTC1 hour ago
Carney says Canada is now in an economic war with Trump after trade talks collapsed

Mark Carney is now calling the Canada-US trade fight what he thinks it is: an economic war. Speaking Saturday on Parliament Hill, the economic legend said:

“It is evident it is a new attack by the Americans on Canada. So, it is an attack in a war. It’s not a good choice. We want a global accord between the two countries.”

As Cryptopolitan previously reported, Trump has put a 50% tariff on $20 billion of Canadian goods, and Canada is preparing to hit back dollar for dollar.

Carney stood beside Canada-U.S. Trade Minister Dominic LeBlanc and chief negotiator Janice Charette while laying out Ottawa’s version of how negotiations collapsed. He said the Canadian team “worked intensively and in good faith with the United States to negotiate a new comprehensive trade deal.”

But Canada walked away once Washington brought forward terms it would not accept. “We cannot accept what they offered, and we will not give what they’ve asked,” Carney said.

Trump’s tariff deadline collapsed after Washington and Ottawa accused each other of changing the deal

Trump’s tariffs were due to begin at midnight on August 19. Trump then pushed that deadline back by three days and wrote online that the delay was “based on the fact that Canada and the U.S.A., subject to the finalization of documents, have a DEAL!”

… Continue reading the full article at the original source below.

Read from Source · cryptopolitan.com ↗
This content is automatically aggregated. Full credit goes to the original publisher (cryptopolitan.com).

Related