‘We Got Attacked’: Canada Fires Back After US Slaps 50% Tariffs on Billions in Exports

NewsSun, 23 Aug 2026 07:59:54 UTC1 hour ago

TLDR

  • US-Canada trade talks collapsed Friday, with 50% US tariffs hitting roughly $28 billion in Canadian goods including wine, cement, and hockey sticks
  • Canada’s Prime Minister Mark Carney promised to match US tariffs “dollar for dollar,” with Canadian retaliatory tariffs set for September 8th
  • Both sides blamed each other for the breakdown, with key disputes over auto tariffs, steel, aluminum, and heavy-duty trucks
  • US Trade Representative Jamieson Greer said no new talks are planned with Canada
  • The Canadian Chamber of Commerce warned the tariffs could cause job losses and damage both economies

The US and Canada failed to reach a trade deal late Friday, sending relations between the two countries to a new low. The Trump administration moved forward with 50% tariffs on a range of Canadian goods, and Canada said it would hit back just as hard.

The new US tariffs cover about $28 billion worth of Canadian exports. Products affected include wine, furniture, dairy, cement, clothing, fishing rods, and hockey equipment. That is roughly 5% of what Canada sold to the US last year.

… Continue reading the full article at the original source below.

Read from Source · coincentral.com ↗
This content is automatically aggregated. Full credit goes to the original publisher (coincentral.com).

Related